Explain how the text advances certain values that are consistent with the project of colonization or the settlers themselves. What qualities or beliefs does Smith’s text value, either implicitly or explicitly?
For each discussion, you must select one of the posted questions and respond with a substantive post which answers this question for the rest of the class. Posts should be between 200 and 300 words each. Your post should interact with the work(s) you are writing about through quote and analysis. Remember that this is a college-level course, so you should use correct grammar, spelling, and sentence structure.
Discussion 2: John Smith
For this week’s forum, respond to ONE of the following questions:
1. Choose one word that describes how Smith characterizes himself and discuss whether or not that self-characterization remains consistent or is complicated by the events he narrates.
2. Explain how the text advances certain values that are consistent with the project of colonization or the settlers themselves. What qualities or beliefs does Smith’s text value, either implicitly or explicitly?
3. How does Smith view the Native Americans with whom he deals? Explain how this view influences his account of one or more events in the text.
4. How does Smith establish and maintain a relationship with is audience(s) in The Generall Historie? Give examples to support your viewpoint.
5. Smith includes the now legendary tale of his “rescue” by Pocahontas during captivity, which subsequent historians and scholars have cast into doubt. What purpose do you believe this story served for Smith and his audience(s)?